Sunday, January 8, 2012

December 2011 Recap

I wish I could finally type some good news - this is getting really old - but just when I think things couldn't get any worse I started to pass really big clots starting the evening of the 8th. Then it gradually became worse - if you could imagine - over the next week. Then on the 16th I was able to get into the clinic for an ultrasound because the bleeding/clotting just kept getting worse. After the internal ultrasound It was decided that a D&C would be the best option seeing as I had been bleeding for three weeks already.

Thank god I went in for the D&C on Friday the 16th because after I was out of surgery and back to my room my mom called me to say that my dads blood pressure had dropped to 60 over 40 - hard to believe I know but it's true - and to see if G would mind driving them to the emergency. Once he drove me home he went over to my parents place to drive them to the hospital.

The week of the 19th he was still in there and we had pretty high hopes that he would get out for Christmas but things took a turn for the worst and his blood level started going all over the place again. They had his creatinine down to 243 - which is still high but better then when he came into the hospital at 307 - but then it spiked right up to 347.

On the 28th of December the doctor told the family that there was nothing else they could do for my dad so we have to decide if we could manage to take care of him at home or send him to a Hospice. On December 31st my dad seem to stabilize enough to come home on an day/over night pass to see if we could manage to take care of him on our own. It didn't go so well. In the middle of the night he tried to get up to go to the bathroom but he's legs just stopped working for some reason. He got worse on Sunday morning and basically wasn't talking much so we figured it was probably best that we take him back to the hospital were they could better help him and then we could put his name on the list for a hospice.

Miraculously, on the morning of Tuesday January 3rd 2012 dad started talking and understanding what we were saying to him and he was also responding to our questions a lot quicker. He even had no problem getting up and walking around. I knew he wasn't ever going to get better but it was just nice to be able to have a conversation with him again. I really missed talking to him for those few days.

Thursday January 5th 2012 a bed at one of the better hospices here in Calgary became available and my dad was transported there mid morning. I have to say I'm very sad that we were unable to care for him at home but I believe that he will get the best possible care he needs at the hospice. They have such wonderful nurses that work there. It's a total difference from the hospital. The people there are so kind and caring. They are so gentle with him and talk to him like a person which makes me feel a little better about our decision.

Sent from my iPhone


  1. Wow...what a month for you. I am so, so sorry for what your Dad is going through. It just breaks my heart every time I read your posts about him. It brings back so many memories of my own Dad and the experience we went through four years ago before we lost him. I'm glad to hear that the hospice nurses are good - I'm sure he's in good hands. And I am so sorry you had to go through so much with the D&C. I sure hope things turn around for you soon. ((Take care))

  2. *hugs* What a rough month, Hopeful1. I'm sorry for your D&C and the issues with your dad. It is good to hear hospice is a good place. I know the one in my hometown was a good one too. Stay strong and sending positive thoughts your way.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...